Sunday 28 February 2016

Running as Therapy

So part of my blog is keeping it real life, this is a life post.  I had a crappy week at work, probably top five worst week in 29 years of work.  On Monday when it all went down, I went for a run. I was running away from my problems, running is my therapy and I now run instead of eating my feelings. As usual my run helped me clear my mind and start making plans and by Tuesday on the bus I was making lists of things I needed to do.  I had a list for work and a list for athletics and I was ready for my call with my business/life coach at 8am.  As usual she cut through the bullshit and helped me realize that while I was ready to settle, the Universe would not let me and this was my smack upside the head.

You have to love the Universe, as I always say it gives you what you need when you need it and as the week unfolded the I had a clear message and direction and running and triathlon where a leading the way.  A lot of people have asked me if I was going to start coaching since I have my Triathlon Ontario Community Coaching qualification but I know I am not ready for that yet.  I am ready to lead a few run clinics and I will be leading the 10K clinic to May race weekend and then the half marathon clinic to the Army run and I am thrilled to get the chance.  I have had so many great clinic leaders that I wanted to give back and now I get the chance.  I love inspiring and motivating others to follow their dreams, to dream big and to successful.  My coach had given me an assignment to find my life purpose and while I have not figured it out yet, I know this is part of it.

As much as I love helping others with their dreams, I need to have my own dreams as well and this week I set a few new ones.  I had been lost since Ironman, not sure where to focus my energies but now I have a few new things for 2016:
- break 2 hours for a half marathon (at the Army run hopefully),
- finish my Olympic triathlon with a new PR (hopefully by 15 mins or more),
- to start a book on my triathlon journey (I even have a title)

My long term my goal is to register for IMMT again in 2018 so in 2017 I will do 70.3 Tremblant and 70.3 Barrelman and I hope to do the Dopey in Jan 2017 as well.

I had a great run yesterday and as I ran, the stress of the week completely melted away, I felt re-energized and ready to take on my new goals.  As for my work, I have made plans there as well and as I work on them, athletics will help keep me balanced and happy.  One of my work goals for my Company ( not the one I co-own ) is to get my coaching certificate so I can add business coaching to my business and maybe this will help me decide if athletic coaching is something I want to do...who knows, I have learned to never say never.


2 comments:

  1. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing. I'm a life coach blogger. Reading blogs is my hobby and I randomly found your blog. I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging endeavors. Please keep in touch with me in Twitter, @lifecoachbloger and Google+, +sridharchandrasekaran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will look for you on Twitter

      Delete