Sunday 21 February 2016

Team Awesome

So I am excited to announce that I am part of Team Awesome for Ottawa Race weekend in May.  

What is Team Awesome?
Team Awesome is a group of enthusiastic runners (and social media fanatics) who are participating in the 2016 Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend (TORW) and want to share updates about their training and race weekend information, as well as support other runners along the way.

This year I am running the 10k for the first time and I am looking forward to it.  This is my 10th time participating in the Ottawa Race Weekend and the 7th consecutive time since 2010 when I walked my first half marathon.  Since then I have run 3-5k races and 2 half marathons so I thought I would try a new distance this time.  10k is a challenging distance for me, it is not a sprint and it's not a slow steady build like the half marathon is, this takes a lot of planning and work.  To run the perfect 10k you need to run fast enough at the beginning to get your legs warmed up and ready to sprint but no too fast that you run out of gas before the end, those last 2k can be terrible if you start out too fast.  

I have not done a lot of speed work in the last few years so I am adding it to my training plan now and adding race pace segments to some of my long runs to help with my ability to build the speed durnig the 55 mins I hope it takes me to run the 10K. My PB is 56:20 so I am aiming for sub 55 mins this May.

I look forward to keeping you up to date with my training for his race and my half marathon on May 1, we are headed back to Mississauga for the second year in a row as Neale really likes this course and hopes to get his BQ there this May.  


No comments:

Post a Comment