Sunday 25 March 2012

Goal setting


My new 10K clinic started Friday and we eased into it.  We ran 3.2K and I had one of those runs that make me believe I AM a runner, not just someone who runs.  It's one of those runs where everything feels right, you feel good running, your speed is good and you feel like you can run forever.  It's like hitting the perfect golf shot, it happens once every hundred shots but you keep playing hoping for another one.  Let me be clear, I DO NOT LIKE RUNNING!  I do it to keep the weight off and so that I can do all the adventurous things my marathon running husband likes to do.  

My running instructor asked us what our goals where for this clinic; mine was to improve my time for the 10K.  My first 10K time was 70 mins so for my next, my goal is 65 mins. When I started running, I never thought I could run 10K, now I know I can.  I need to keep remembering this as I get closer to the half marathon. I have achieved so many of my goals by breaking them into smaller, measurable parts.   For this week my goal will be to run 4 times and not let my work stress interfere with my daily life, a challenge during tax season.

"The goal you set must be challenging. At the same time, it should be realistic and attainable, not impossible to reach. It should be challenging enough to make you stretch, but not so far that you break." Rick Hansen 

No comments:

Post a Comment